ISO/IEC 19770-1 is the Software Asset Management process standard. It is aligned to Service Management (ISO/IEC 20000-1), and contains 27 process areas, with objectives and detailed outcomes defined for each.
The first generation was published in 2006. The second generation was published in 2012. It retains the original content (with only minor changes), but splits the standard up into four tiers which can be attained sequentially. These tiers are:
• Tier 1: Trustworthy Data
• Tier 2: Practical Management
• Tier 3: Operational Integration
• Tier 4: Full ISO/IEC SAM Conformance
There is a white paper available about the revision. Please see the 'File Repository' tab of this website to download the file entitled ISO SAM Processes - A Play In Acts.
More information on the past and recent work of the Tiered SAM Processes development group is at: www.stagedsam.org
There are plans to revise 19770-1 in several years in generation 3 to be a full Management System Standard. Please see the 'File Repository' tab of this website to download the file entitled Breaking Down the Silos - The Future of ISO Standards for SAM and ITAM
- Current practices and issues with Cloud and License Management
- Why new ISO SAM needs Tiered SAM Processes
Latest WG21 news
- Make your voice be heard!
- Report on the May 2012 WG21 Meeting on Jeju Island, Korea
- TagVault receives Platinum Contributor Award
- ISO/IEC Grants Extended Distribution of Important Software Asset Management Standard Enhancements